From 2018 to 2020, I worked as Head of Design at Pocket. Pocket is a consumer app that helps millions of users save, discover, and read high-quality articles from across the web.
As a subsidiary of Mozilla, the company is committed to the mission of promoting a healthier internet, bursting filter bubbles, and elevating reputable, well-written stories.
Pocket 7 app redesign
In my first year at Pocket, I led a major redesign of our mobile and web apps, including branding, typography, messaging, and UI.
Pocket Design Principles
To guide the redesign, the team first created a set of foundational product design principles based on user research and where we wanted Pocket to go.
- Respectful of content, so I can focus on what matters
- Accessible, so all users are welcome
- Calming, so I can escape the noise of the internet
- Crafted with care, so I feel confident of the quality
Pocket should provide…
- Clear, smart default experiences… so I can form habits easily
- …and the right tools at the right time
- Consistency, so I only have to learn it once
- A reflection my interests, so I feel invested and I can learn new things about myself.
Pocket Design System
As part of the redesign, we also began working on a cross-platform design system. The team evolved the system into a robust, extensible platform for product design and web and mobile development. Over the following months we were able to have these components in Figma, Storybook, and native code, and it helped to speed development of new UIs.